Posts Tagged ‘Kitchen’
- The best soups are made with a base of homemade stock and fresh ingredients. You can reduce your time in the kitchen by usuing canned or frozen broths or bouillion bases. Even so,plan on taking your time with a good soup or stew.
- Fresh ingredients are best ,but some canned or frozen vegetables will work well, such as peas,green beans and corn.
- A hot soup will help recondition the palate between meal courses or after consumption of alcoholic beverages.
- Ideally, cold soups should be served in chilled dishes.
- If the soup is not intended as the main course,you can count on 1 quart to serve6. As main dish,plan on 2 servings per quart.
- To reduce the fat content,make the soup the day before,chill and scrape off the fat that rises to the top. If you don’t have time to chill soup,use an unprinted paper towel to soak up oil from the surface. Savory soups and stews always taste better if made a day or two in advance and reheated just before serving.
- If your hot soup ends up slightly salty,add a whole ,peeled potato to the soup and simmer for about 15 minutes to absorb salt. Remove the potato and serve. ( Save the potato for the cooks treat!)
- Wine is a great flavor addition to soups and stews. When using wine or alcohol in soup,use less salt as the wine tends to intensify saltiness. Wine should be added at a ratio of no more than 1/4 cup of wine to 1 quart of soup.
Read MoreNovember 15, 2010 2:57 pm - Posted by mishella